Thursday, February 10, 2005

Straight Roads

Is it possible to be walking down a straight, uncomplicated road only to suddenly find yourself wandering lost without ever getting off it?

After the blistering lecture I received from two of my best friends about figuring out where the hell I am going, I have turned back to the one thing that has always forced me into real introspection: my keyboard. Of course I know I can do this without having to resort to publishing my musings on-line, but my inner emotional exhibitionist couldn't resist the temptation of setting up a blog just for that.

This blog serves many purposes. One, it is meant to be a place of catharsis and perhaps somewhere I can finally interpret my inner compass and start going in the right direction. Two, it allows my friends to track my progress and also allows them to offer insights into my insanity that they manage to see along the way. Third, it forces me to organize my thoughts as a point of pride and flex my long atrophied writing muscles.

Not that I'm about to make a press release about the existence of this log to the world in general.

Anyway, I digress.

It's amazing that for a person who has walked the straight and narrow all my life, I now find myself hopelessly lost. Perhaps it's because I have spent most of my life walking down the straight and narrow that I find myself lost. I guess when you drive yourself towards a goal so single-mindedly, it's unlikely for you to notice the detours that were probably put there to lead you to the right destination. And when you suddenly find yourself there and you find it wasn't really where you thought you wanted to be... Well, it's probably like being stranded on a highway in a car that's out of gas and no gas station in sight.

Basically, you get... stuck.

So here I am, stuck and lost, in the middle of nowhere, and I can't figure out how to get out of here because at this point I have no idea where I want to go.

I'm hoping in time I will finally be able to figure at least that out.

No comments: