Friday, March 27, 2009

Uh Oh



Look what came in the mail today.

I can't believe I've actually signed up for my first ever organized run. And, what's more, committed to doing a distance I've never even managed to do to date - 10 kilometers. I haven't even been running that regularly or properly these days! Just doing 5k has been an absolute struggle. What if I come in dead last in a field of 1000 plus?

Maybe I've bitten off more than I could chew. Maybe I should chuck the number in the bin and just forget about the whole thing.

On the other hand, who the heck will care if I come in dead last? Even then, it's already pretty amazing if I finish it at all whether at a walk or a run - considering where I was (both in my life and fitness-wise) exactly this time last year.

Backing out would be an insult to the person I've grown up to be this past year. And wasn't it just last year, when I was preparing to come over, that I also felt like I'd bitten off more than I could chew?

So, yeah, I guess I am going to be keeping my number - and pinning it to my singlet next Sunday when I do the run. I may be the slowest one there that day, but by hook or by crook, I am going to make it across that finish line... just to prove to myself that I actually can.

4 comments:

joe positive said...

I promise you, you will not come in dead last. But don't forget to post a race report!

ness said...

Good luck, Clairebear! And check out Doc Doray's blog, Doralicious, she has lots of running tips.

Ligaya said...

Hi doc... Um...if you've still got energy after all that running... I'd like to extend an invitation of another sort. :-) I'm hosting the next edition of The Blog Rounds. The topic is "TBR MD's: Their Lives and Letters" but it takes too long to explain here hehe. The call for articles (and the explanation of the topic) is at http://ligayasolera.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-rounds-call-for-articles.html. I really hope you can join! :-) Thanks!

Marjie said...

Hey, look what you have in there. I'm not much of a runner (Okay, I'm not at all a runner), but I'm definitely rootin for #824. I bet she'll do just fine!

By the way hun, I know I do this alot, but here's another one: you've been tagged. Hope you ejoy this one!

xxxx